So this is a job description I received from a recruiter this morning:
• Proficiency and excellent knowledge of open-source CMS and e-commerce systems (WordPress, WooCommerce and Magento)
• A solid understanding of web application development processes, from the layout/user interface (UI / UX) to relational database structures and architecture, stored procedures, technical requirements, business logic and full development (Front End / Back End Development).
• Understanding the benefits of SEO and the development skills to support SEO are a plus.
• Strong communication and writing skills.
• Ability to communicate directly with peers, managers, and clients while leading development to a completed and successful solution.
• Strong organization skills to manage multiple timelines and complete tasks quickly within the constraints of clients’ timelines and budgets.
• Ability to grow professionally in a highly flexible and fast-moving environment.
• Awareness and pride in 100% client satisfaction.
• Creation of site layout/user interface from provided design concepts by using standard HTML5/CSS3 practices.
• Placement and layout of web site pages given client provided content.
• SQL Server Database architecture and management.
• Application/Framework design as needed.
• Specifications/Requirements gathering as needed.
• Creation of System Plans, Business Logics, Accurate custom development estimates.
• Routine daily maintenance of existing sites and applications.
- HTML 9
- CSS3 9
- PHP 2.5
This job description has been sent by the same company via 3 different recruiters.
The first recruiter I spoke to told me the company name and let me research them on my own.
The second recruiter wouldn’t name names but told me they were looking to pay $40,000 per year for the right candidate.
The third recruiter told me that $80K to $100K was not out of the question but would not name names, however he did confirm the name when I told him I’d heard about this position before.
The company offering this position is absolutely terrible and has a piss poor reputation here in Ottawa, however they keep trying to find developers that are going to risk their own reputation and their livelihood working for a company that is essentially a sweatshop for coders who know a little bit about writing wordpress themes / plugins.
The salary variance is what really messes me up. So either I settle for $40K and hopefully work my way up to $80K OR I start at $80K and am very unlikely to see any increase from there for a while.
Definitely not somewhere I want to work. Especially when I read about people not getting paid on time and being overworked.
Sorry to all the recruiters out there, but I can generate that kind of cash on my own without going downtown to an office every morning and fighting traffic the whole way.